Doctors usually prescribe antibiotics for acne treatment either in the form of lotions, skin creams, or tablets. Antibiotics attack the bacteria on your skin that cause acne. It normally takes around one to two months of treatment to see a noticeable improvement. Antibiotics are easily available, being used from a long time and they are unlikely to cause side effects.
Antibiotics must be taken for six to eight weeks before results are evident and treatment should be continued for at least six months to prevent the development of bacteria. You can discontinue taking antibiotics once the inflammation has resolved.
Antibiotics work by decreasing the number of bacteria and by reducing the irritating chemicals produced by white blood cells. Moreover, antibiotics also reduce the concentration of free fatty acids in the sebum.
The most frequently used topical antibiotics for acne treatment are Clindamycin – comes in Clinac® solution, Dalacin T® gel, lotion, solution & Topicil® solution and Erythromycin – comes in Stiemycin® solution, Eryacne® gel.
The most commonly prescribed oral antibiotics for acne include: Tetracycline – comes in tetracycline (Panmycin®), Minocycline – (Mino-tabs®, Minomycin®), Doxycycline – (Doxine®, Doxy® & Doryx®). Erythromycin – comes in Emu-V®, Eryc®, Eromycin®, E-mycin®, EES® & ERA®. Trimethroprim – comes in Triprim® & TMP®. Cotrimoxasole – comes in Apo-Sulfatrim®, Trisul®, Trimel®, Bactrim® & Septrin®.
Most common side effects may include photosensitivity, upset stomach, dizziness or lightheadedness, hives, lupus-like symptoms, and skin discoloration. Contact dermatitis (red, dry, itchy skin) can be due to irritancy or allergy, which can be treated with a topical steroid such as hydrocortisone cream. Some women report a higher incidence of vaginal yeast infection while taking antibiotics, which can be treated with over-the-counter anti-fungal medication or a prescription anti-fungal, such as Diflucan. Tetracycline is not given to pregnant women or children under 12 years of age. Allergy to tetracycline or erythromycin is very uncommon but arises in more than 2% of those on trimethoprim or cotrimoxasole.
It is strongly believed that antibiotics can weaken the immune system and acne often returns when people stop taking antibiotics.
Popular Acne Products on Amazon
- CLEAN & CLEAR COMPLEXION- InstaNatural’s Anti Aging Skin Clearing Serum for face incorporates Salicylic Acid to soothe and clear blemishes. This anti aging serum works as a dark spot corrector for face by brightening the skin while also dueling as a pore minimizer and acne spot treatment for those pesky breakouts that pop up. By regulating oil production, a healthy complexion is revealed.
- KEY INGREDIENTS - Retinol reduces the appearance of lines, wrinkles, and discoloration while Beta Hydroxy and Salicylic Acid clears breakouts, blackheads, clogged pores and duals as an acne spot and cystic acne treatment serum for face. Niacinamide and Vitamin C work to lighten dark spots, reduce redness, and brighten overall complexion leaving you with radiant skin.
- ANTI AGING SERUM - This daily anti wrinkle serum for face reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation while defending against environmental aggressors visibly reducing uneven tone and texture for smooth youthful skin.
- Natural Skin Care - Nature's gentle sea mud effectively removes impurities to unclog pores that deep cleanse acne or oily skin and nourish dry skin to reveal a hydrated dewy complexion.
- Love your skin with luxury spa treatment from 100% pure and natural ingredients sourced from the Dead Sea of Israel. Quality manufactured in USA. No Paraben. No Artificial Colors. No Added Fragrance or Chemicals. Not tested on animals.
- Boost circulation with regular facial regimen - the rich minerals from the Dead Sea regenerate skin cells keeping you looking fresh, healthy and youthful by firming, detoxifying and hydrating skin deep.
- Satisfaction Tested with Happy Customers, both Male and Female!
- Sensitivity Check: Apply on a small area of the skin to test for sensitivity by high mineral content.
- Proactiv Solution 3-Step Pro Acne Treatment System (60 Day Original Acne Kit) clears existing acne blemishes, soothes inflammation and redness, and helps to prevent new breakouts from occurring
- Targets the root causes of acne bacteria, oil production, and dead skin cell build up to heal and soothe acne prone skin
- Features micro crystal benzoyl peroxide, a proven acne medicine, designed to work faster than ever before
- This is the original Proactiv 3 Step System, and is best for oily, combination skin with acne breakouts
- This Proactiv Solution 3-Step Pro Acne Treatment System (60 Day Original Acne Kit) supports around 8 weeks of your skin clearing journey, and includes a 4 Ounce Renewing Cleanser acne wash, 4 Ounce Revitalizing Toner, 2 Ounce Repairing Treatment, 1 Ounce Skin Purifying Mask and a .33 Ounce Green Tea Moisturizer.